This Mathematics unit covers a range of concepts relating to decimals and percentages; specifically calculations.
It consists of 11 lessons of approximately 60 minutes duration.
The sequence of lessons and suggested time frames should be regarded as a guide only; teachers should pace lessons in accordance with the individual learning needs of their class.
An assessment task for monitoring student understanding of the unit objectives is included and will require an additional lesson.
This unit plan includes the following resources:
- Goal Labels – Fractions (Upper Elementary)
- Operations With Decimals PowerPoint
- Describe That Decimal Worksheet
- Comparing and Ordering Decimals – Worksheet
- Rounding Decimals – Worksheets
- Decimals Worksheet – Operations
- Fractions and Decimals Worksheets
- Multiplying with Decimals – Bingo Game
- Introducing Percentages PowerPoint
- I Have, Who Has? Game – Fraction, Decimal, and Percentage Equivalence
- Percentages, Fractions, and Decimals Sort
- Fraction, Decimal, and Percentage Bingo
- Fraction, Decimal, Percentage Match-Up Game
- Calculating Discounts PowerPoint
- Dan’s Digital World – Product Brochure
- Money and Financial Literacy Worksheets
- Math Investigation – Decimals and Percentages
- Decimals and Percentages Assessment
- To review decimal place value and compare, order, and represent decimals.
- To add and subtract decimals.
- To multiply and divide decimals by powers of 10.
- To multiply decimals by whole numbers.
- To divide decimals by whole numbers.
- To make connections between equivalent fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- To calculate percentage discounts of 10%, 25%, and 50%.
- To calculate sale price using percentage discounts of 10%, 25%, and 50%.
- To apply knowledge of decimals and percentages to a real-world context.
Preparing for Learning
Prior to beginning the unit, develop a decimal and percentages wall in the classroom. Display posters and word wall vocabulary that the students will engage with throughout the unit to stimulate their learning. For examples of such resources, browse the Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages category on the Teach Starter website.
There are many concepts to address within the topic of decimals and percentages. The lessons in this unit cover a range of these concepts, many of which have varying degrees of complexity. Teachers are encouraged to select lessons from the unit that best suit the learning needs of their students, or to adapt lessons accordingly.
Some of the resources which accompany this unit plan will need to be prepared prior to teaching. For this reason, it is advised that teachers browse through all lessons before starting the unit.
Common Core Curriculum alignment
Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10, and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10. Use whole-number exponents to denot...
Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths.
Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to hundredths, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written me...
Find a percent of a quantity as a rate per 100 (e.g., 30% of a quantity means 30/100 times the quantity); solve problems involving finding the whole, given a part and the percent.